Monday, April 11, 2011

Mathletes 3.14159

Sooo....I love math. Seriously. Like a lot. About as much as I love music. In fact, I once tried to put pi to music...I printed the first 10,000 digits (a little ambitious, I realize) and assigned a note on my piano to each digit...needless to say...so I won't. I also once stole a math book from my teacher in elementary school. I took it for the summer, did all of the problems in it, then came back the following year in tears for having done such a thing! That wasn't the first time a teacher laughed at me.

I not only LOVE math, but I'm pretty damn good at it! I took algebra by 7th grade, and calculus by 12th...which is where it finally got hard. Where did all the damn numbers go??? HA! Oh snap...when I was in Advanced Math Analysis, this popular guy came into the class who was "soooo hott" and blah blah blah. Well, that idiot took one look at the board (covered in problems regarding finding 'x') and said, "I thought this was math class. Where are the numbers?" Laughter erupted, showing you what being popular in high school does for you. Loser.

My point? Well, today my step-mom called me asking for help regarding my 11 year-old sister's math homework. After attempts to explain it over the phone, I ended up writing out a fully detailed description of what she needed to do to explain it to Izzy (my sis) step by step, reasons why, and even references to websites explaining specific formulas and whatnot. I was so proud of the email, I reread it multiple times! Then I realized..."holy canoli, I have this skill that most people don't have, are in desperate need of, and will pay for"....ummm lightbulb! So, I now start my tutoring career. I used to tutor in high school (a requirement of calculus class) and LOVED every minute of it! So, I posted my ad on craigslist, and am currently accepting new students at $25/hour (negotiable, but I know I deserve at least that for now- I'm good at what I do). I am so excited to start making money, meeting new people, and helping them with something I thoroughly enjoy! Know an idiot? Send 'em my way! They'll be doing your taxes in no time!


Link to my craigslist ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/lss/2319657824.html

1 comment: