Friday, May 6, 2011

Hooonesty- is Such a Lonely Word

Gotta' love Billy. He really hammers those nails on the head! I think honesty is so hard to find these days. You're either too afraid to use it, or use the alternative for evil. Life would be so much easier if everyone was honest. Well, not so much easier. But people wouldn't walk around like idiots for not knowing the truth anymore. I, for one, greatly dislike that feeling.

I try to be as honest as possible. Although, I also recognize when a situation calls for a lack of details. Let's be clear here, I'm not talking about lying. I'm talking about leaving out details that are not needed in specific conversations. You want total honesty? Read my songs. If you're not mentioned, you probably already know how I feel about you. Or at least, if I like you or not as a person. Although, I pretty much like everyone. Allllmost everyone. So I probably like you if I talk to you. Well, let's be honest, you know I like you if I'm usually nice to you, but give you a loooot of shit. It's what I do. And if it's more than that, or I'm angry with you, it's in a song. It's how I express the feelings I know I shouldn't be feeling. It's my therapy.

Seriously, though- I'm pretty much an open book. You can flip the pages without worrying about offending me or "crossing a line". I like to be open and honest, because- how the hell will you get to know me if I don't show you me? So I stick to the truth. I hear it's the best policy.

A lot of people struggle with opening up and trusting someone. Believe me, I am careful about who I share things with and who I don't. Hence, the lack of details. But sometimes, people hold back when they probably shouldn't. Open up, let someone in, take a risk! How will you know what could be if you never let it be? I try to follow my heart and my gut. They both usually have good instincts. My brain keeps me focused on who's important, and who can shove it. They're a great team!

I guess my point is, it's not always good to have your guard up. And it's certainly not okay to lie to get your way, or toy with someone's emotions. People tend to appreciate honesty, and with the right delivery, you can really set someone at ease. I like honesty. So tell me how you feel! I bet I can take it. And if I don't... you can tell me to shove it. And I will.

1 comment:

  1. Shaneil:
    The above sounds like you have been hurt just once, too often. For that I am quite sorry. A cliche says that 'all comes to he who waits' and "patience is a virtue." Being yourself is a virtue also and nothing in life is fair, as you well know. I can only provide my life's approach: (1) stay alert and aware - knowing and seeing what is in ones immediate environment is important to ensuring problem avoidance - if your 'gut turns over' when you see, hear or sense, one should probably avoid and pick another direction; (2) be a person of faith-deist, specified religion, whatever - so long as there is a standard of human association one can use and respect; (3) the only peson in charge of you is "you" - so sometimes one can be spontaneous and sometimes one has to sleep on it; and (4) there is nothing wrong with periods of alone - it clears the mind; (5) if you want somethings, go after it using all the skills in your human toolset. Know that you are a loved person. Regards - Uncle Gary

    ReplyDelete